I just saw the most recent issue of Sunset magazine and found someone else that converted an Airstream into an office, so it seemed like an appropriate time to revisit our own recent Airstream project.
After we finished our project, we got a chance to show it a couple of times, and one of the most common questions about the interior was, “Where did you get all of these cabinets, and how did you get it to fit so well?”, or “So what part did you do? Did you just find a way to move around the interior and make it fit?”
The simple answer is that we custom fabricated nearly the entire interior (excluding the bathroom sink and tub), and as proof, we thot we would show a few samples of the work in progress, beginning with the interior pocket door.
Everything starts with a template. For this unusual shape, I sacrificed 2 sheets of cheap luan ply.
This place is so dusty.
The door gets glued up.
This is a “Go-bar” table. Kind of an old-fashioned way to keep something flat.
A test fitting. Ball bearing rollers (Cheap hardware drives me nuts). Smooove.
The finished installation. This sides all Walnut.
My favorite part is these dope curves on the door jamb. The original door was the width of the bottom half. It couldn’t be any wider at the bottom because of the bathroom countertop and tub, as you can kind-of see in this photo. There were also other obstructions which I dealt with cleverly. The result is a 4” wider opening in the top half, which makes it sort-of ergonomic for those of us with arms.
On the lavatory side, the door is maple.
Now that it’s gone, and I don’t get to see it any more, I kinda forget how bad-ass our work is.